Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Quotations about Walking

If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk. ~Raymond Inmon


A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White


I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~John Muir, 1913, in L.M. Wolfe, ed., John Muir, John of the Mountains: The Unpublished Journals of John Muir, 1938


Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau


Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright


I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan


My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing. ~Aldous Huxley


When you have worn out your shoes, the strength of the shoe leather has passed into the fiber of your body. I measure your health by the number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake. ~Wallace Stevens


After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value. ~George Macauley Trevelyan


I dream of hiking into my old age. ~Marlyn Doan


No city should be too large for a man to walk out of in a morning. ~Cyril Connolly


Solvitur ambulando, St. Jerome was fond of saying. To solve a problem, walk around. ~Gregory McNamee


A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank. ~Author Unknown


Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir


Thoughts come clearly while one walks. ~Thomas Mann


In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir


Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. ~Soren Kierkegaard


Walks. The body advances, while the mind flutters around it like a bird. ~Jules Renard


You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well. ~Terri Guillemets


I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see. ~John Burroughs


The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance," 1841


Nothing like a nighttime stroll to give you ideas. ~J.K. Rowling, "The Egg and The Eye," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2000, spoken by the character Mad-Eye Moody


People say that losing weight is no walk in the park. When I hear that I think, yeah, that's the problem. ~Chris Adams


How can you explain that you need to know that the trees are still there, and the hills and the sky? Anyone knows they are. How can you say it is time your pulse responded to another rhythm, the rhythm of the day and the season instead of the hour and the minute? No, you cannot explain. So you walk. ~Author unknown, from New York Times editorial, "The Walk," 25 October 1967


Make your feet your friend. ~J.M. Barrie


I'm the walkingest girl around. I like to work at it - really get my heart pounding. ~Amy Yasbeck


He who limps is still walking. ~Stanislaw J. Lec



There is this to be said for walking: It's the one mode of human locomotion by which a man proceeds on his own two feet, upright, erect, as a man should be, not squatting on his rear haunches like a frog. ~Edward Abbey


Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage. ~Evan Esar


Now shall I walk
or shall I ride?
"Ride," Pleasure said:
"Walk," Joy replied.
~W.H. Davies


[We] live with our heels as well as head and most of our pleasure comes in that way. ~John Muir


Ever wonder where you'd end up if you took your dog for a walk and never once pulled back on the leash? ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com


Your body is built for walking. ~Gary Yanker


In the morning a man walks with his whole body; in the evening, only with his legs. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


I haven't got any special religion this morning. My God is the God of Walkers. If you walk hard enough, you probably don't need any other god. ~Bruce Chatwin, In Patagonia, 1977


The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff


We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down. ~Robert Sweetgall


Walking: the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise. ~Carrie Latet


The body's habituation to walking as normal stems from the good old days. It was the bourgeois form of locomotion: physical demythologization, free of the spell of hieratic pacing, roofless wandering, breathless flight. Human dignity insisted on the right to walk, a rhythm not extorted from the body by command or terror. The walk, the stroll, were private ways of passing time, the heritage of the feudal promenade in the nineteenth century. ~Theodor W. Adorno


An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day. ~Henry David Thoreau


A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk. ~O.A. Battista


If you pick 'em up, O Lord, I'll put 'em down. ~Author Unknown, "Prayer of the Tired Walker"


There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a country. A fine landscape is like a piece of music; it must be taken at the right tempo. Even a bicycle goes too fast. ~Paul Scott Mowrer, The House of Europe


I represent what is left of a vanishing race, and that is the pedestrian.... That I am still able to be here, I owe to a keen eye and a nimble pair of legs. But I know they'll get me someday. ~Will Rogers


After dinner sit awhile, after supper walk a mile. ~English Proverb


If I could not walk far and fast, I think I should just explode and perish. ~Charles Dickens


Walking takes longer... than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. ~Edward Abbey, "Walking"


As a nation we are dedicated to keeping physically fit - and parking as close to the stadium as possible. ~Bill Vaughan


My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-three today and we don't know where the hell she is. ~Ellen DeGeneres


I stroll along serenely, with my eyes, my shoes
my rage, forgetting everything.
~Pablo Neruda, translated


I think that I cannot preserve my health and spirits, unless I spend four hours a day at least - and it is commonly more than that - sauntering through the woods and over the hills and fields, absolutely free from all worldly engagements. ~Henry David Thoreau


What really helps motivate me to walk are my dogs, who are my best pals. They keep you honest about walking because when it's time to go, you can't disappoint those little faces. ~Wendie Malick


If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes. ~The Houghton Line, November 1965


The Americans never walk. In winter too cold and in summer too hot. ~J.B. Yeats


I, who cannot stay in my chamber for a single day without acquiring some rust, and when sometimes I have stolen forth for a walk at the eleventh hour of four o'clock in the afternoon, too late to redeem the day, when the shades of night were already beginning to be mingled with the daylight, have felt as if I had committed some sin to be atoned for. ~Henry David Thoreau


The true charm of pedestrianism does not lie in the walking, or in the scenery, but in the talking. The walking is good to time the movement of the tongue by, and to keep the blood and the brain stirred up and active; the scenery and the woodsy smells are good to bear in upon a man an unconscious and unobtrusive charm and solace to eye and soul and sense; but the supreme pleasure comes from the talk. ~Mark Twain


[Hiking] is the best workout!... You can hike for three hours and not even realize you're working out. And, hiking alone lets me have some time to myself. ~Jamie Luner


Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance. ~Author Unknown


The night walked down the sky with the moon in her hand. ~Frederick L. Knowles

No comments: