Friday, October 14, 2011

Quotations about Heartache

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay


[A] final comfort that is small, but not cold: The heart is the only broken instrument that works. ~T.E. Kalem


Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again, skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts. ~Author Unknown


God is closest to those with broken hearts. ~Jewish Saying


God can heal a broken heart, but He has to have all the pieces. ~Author Unknown


What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you. ~Richard Wilbur


Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. ~Author Unknown


Sadness flies away on the wings of time. ~Jean de La Fontaine


I don't know why they call it heartbreak. It feels like every other part of my body is broken too. ~Missy Altijd


Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again. ~Rosa Parks


I thought when love for you died, I should die.
It's dead. Alone, most strangely, I live on.
~Rupert Brooke


Sadness flies on the wings of the morning and out of the heart of darkness comes the light. ~Jean Giraudoux


Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated. ~Lamartine


When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead keep your head up high and gaze into heaven for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal. ~Author Unknown


In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966


Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it's better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together. ~Author Unknown


I hate the day, because it lendeth light
To see all things, but not my love to see.
~Edmund Spenser


With what a deep devotedness of woe
I wept thy absence - o'er and o'er again
Thinking of thee, still thee, till thought grew pain,
And memory, like a drop that, night and day,
Falls cold and ceaseless, wore my heart away!
~Thomas Moore


Love is like a puzzle. When you're in love, all the pieces fit but when your heart gets broken, it takes a while to get everything back together. ~Author Unknown


If we must part forever,
Give me but one kind word to think upon,
And please myself with, while my heart's breaking.
~Thomas Otway



Bad as I like ye, it's worse without ye. ~Irish Proverb


Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll. ~Author Unknown


Yet leave me not; yet, if thou wilt, be free;
Love me no more, but love my love of thee.
~Algernon Charles Swinburne


Don't worry about losing. If it is right, it happens - The Main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. ~John Steinbeck, 10 November 1958


My love-lies-bleeding. ~Thomas Campbell


Walking, working, barely breathing
My thoughts, far away
Heart aching, mind racing
Sleep does not come easily, nor last long....
~Peter Winstanley


Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you. ~Author Unknown


I am tired, Beloved,
of chafing my heart against
the want of you;
of squeezing it into little inkdrops,
And posting it.
~Amy Lowell, "The Letter"


Maybe part of loving is learning to let go. ~From the television show The Wonder Years


It's not love's going hurts my days
But that it went in little ways.
~Edna St. Vincent Millay


...Lost in your heart, lost in your eyes
Lost every day, no map to follow
Entire days, weeks, a blur
Flickers of light, in the darkness,
Only to be enveloped in shadows once more...
~Peter Winstanley


I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. ~From the television show The Wonder Years


Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love. ~Charlie Brown


Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it. ~J.K. Rowling


I prithee send me back my heart,
Since I cannot have thine;
For if from yours you will not part,
Why, then, shouldst thou have mine?
~John Suckling


Yes, I will go. I would rather grieve over your absence than over you. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin


Maid of Athens, ere we part,
Give, oh give me back my heart!
~George Gordon, Lord Byron, "Maid of Athens"


Let no one who loves be unhappy... even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~James Matthew Barrie


As soon as forever is through, I'll be over you. ~Toto

No comments: